Course Schedules and Descriptions
Current Undergraduate Courses
Courses taught in French:
Students are placed into French courses according to the results of their placement test.
All course offerings are taught in French unless labeled otherwise. Students must place at the 200 level (FFW) or have completed fourth-semester French (420:132 or 420:137) to take 200-level courses.
Courses taught in English:
There is no prerequisite needed.
French majors may count one (1) elective course taught either in English in the Department of French or taught outside the department on a topic related to the arts, culture, literature, or history of French-speaking areas (with prior written approval of the Undergraduate Director). Up to two (2) courses in English may count towards the minor. For complete major and minor requirements, please go to majoring & minoring in French.
- 420:215 (or 217) OR 420:216 (or 218) are prerequisites to all 300 and 400 level courses.
- It is recommended, but not required, that students take 6 credits at the 300-level before taking 400-level courses.
The following courses taught in French fulfill one or more Core Curriculum requirements (SAS, SEBS, Mason Gross, School of Management and Labor Relations, SCI, and Bloustein School). A course used to meet core goals may also be used to fulfill a major or minor requirement:
- 01:420:132 Intermediate French
- 01:420:213 Advanced French I: Stories of Scandals and Mysteries
- 01:420:214 Composition and Stylistics
- 01:420:215 Modern Literature in French
- 01:420:216 French Literature from the Middles Ages to the Enlightenment
- 01:420:217 Modern Literature in French (Honors)
- 01:420:218 French Literature from the Middle Ages to the Enlightenment (Honors)
The following Core Curriculum courses are taught in English:
- 01:420:105 French for Reading Knowledge I (not open for credit to students who have had two or more years of secondary school French).
- 01:420:106 French for Reading Knowledge II (not open for credit to students who have had two or more years of secondary school French).
- 01:420:160 Shorts Stories of France
- 01:420:241, 242 Major Writers in Translation
- 01:420:243 Twentieth-Century Women Writing in French
- 01:420:251 France and the World -The World in France
- 01:420:261 Life Writing in France
- 01:420:271 Francophilia: Literature and Society in Modern France
- 01:420:272 Major French Plagiarists
- 01:420:281 French and Francophone Text(s) and Image(s)
- 01:420:282 Music, Culture and Memory in the French-speaking World
- 01:420:283 French Gastronomy and Global Food Cultures
Requirements for other programs
- Honors Program Global Language Requirement
- Honors College Foreign Language Requirement
- School of Pharmacy Humanities Electives
- School of Engineering Humanities