French Majors must take 33 credits of French with a concentration in one of the following two areas. six of the required upper-level credits must be taken with professors of French in the New Brunswick School of Arts and Sciences:
Major in French
- May count 131 and 132
- Must take at least two of the following courses: 210, 213, 214, 224
- Must take 215 OR 217 (you cannot take both)
- Must take 216 OR 218 (you cannot take both)
- Must take five courses at the 300 and 400 level. including the senior seminar (480/481).
- Two electives may be taken in English and/or outside the French Department on subject related
to French and Francophone Studies (French Department approval is required)
Major in French - Interdisciplinary Option [available Fall 22]
- 5 French-language courses, including at least one of the following Advanced language courses: 210, 213, 214, 224
- One course in French and Francophone literature ( 215 or 217 or 216 or 218)
- Must take four upper-level electives (300/400) taught in English or French including a capstone experience.
- May take up to three electives in another department (approved cognate courses or with permission).
- This interdisciplinary major includes the following:
- 18 credits in History, 24 credits in French (131-2, 215-6, advanced courses), and a senior seminar
- For more information please go to: History / French Double Major.
Should I major or minor in French?
For ideas about this, please go to the page with testimonials by recent graduates. We hope you find their comments to be informative and inspiring.
For testimonials, please click here.