Welcome to the Rutgers University Department of French Placement Test. Please do your best on this test without reference to any dictionaries or French textbook. Remember that the purpose of the test is to evaluate your current skills in French so that we can find the most appropriate course for your continued study.
Tests should only be taken for languages with which you have experience. if you did not take French in High School or took less than two years of French in High School you are not required to take the placement test.
Learners whose first language is French (French was the primary language at a young age) are eligible to take the placement test. Learners who had sustained exposure to French but did not take French in High School are not required to take the placement test.
Students who earn a 4 or 5 on the French AP test receive credit for 420:210. They are required to take the placement test. If your placement is lower than FFW please contact the undergraduate director:
Once you place into a course, you may not take a lower course for credit. Note: You can only take this placement test once.
We recommend that you take the exam well in advance of registration. To take the French Placement Exam, you will need a stable internet connection and quiet environment for 15-30 minutes. Your placement score will be displayed at the end of the exam.
Please follow the directions below to take the Placement Test:
- In your internet browser, go to: EMMERSION. MAKE SURE YOU ENTER YOUR NINE DIGIT RUID NUMBER WHEN ASKED FOR STUDENT ID.
- Complete all the fields to register and create an account to gain access to the exam.
- Proceed to sign-in with your username and password to be brought to the Dashboard screen.
- On the Dashboard screen, you can make changes to your information by selecting "settings" on the top right profile icon or proceed to "TAKE TEST".
- Click on "Pre-Test Survey" and answer the questions of the survey and click "Submit".
- Click on "Begin Test" to take the exam.
- Once you complete the exam, you will receive a message confirming that you are done.
- Click on "See Score Report" to view your placement.
- Click on your profile icon to Logout.
- Please email the Department of French Undergraduate Director at: